Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Humor is not scholarly.

Today felt like a pretty accomplishing day, even though I really didn't get all that much done.

I'm going to first talk about a pretty hilarious incident from my communication class this morning. In this class, we had to set six goals for ourselves to attempt to accomplish during the quarter. Two would be goals related to our relationships with others, two would be things about ourselves, and another two would be goals that require other people to accomplish. We also had to write a two to three page paper about them, the techniques we would use to accomplish them, and how it relates to our course, et cetera. So, for this paper, one of my broseidon classmates wrote the following:

"Relating to short term I am concerned that I nearly always focus on de-escalating these relationships. As is the case with my classmate Kasey who is a dear friend that I feel I could never live without. He may even be the same height is me, which is just that much cooler. Yet since he is a self-righteous jerk, I know his influence in my life must end. So, my goal is to ensure that he and I have no contact after the quarter ends. I may have to take measures to get him out of the class early if his annoying face gets me too angry."
And, of course, the teacher took it entirely seriously. As a matter of fact, so seriously, that she wanted to talk to this guy after class about it, and wants to talk to him again later this week to discuss that he is either having a mental breakdown or that humor does not belong in scholarly articles. Scholarly articles, in a low level communications class. This woman carries herself far too highly, for some strange reason. Her sense of humor is nearly non-existent, which is pretty depressing. I hope I can survive this quarter.

Later in the day, I ended up trying out both the Crysis 2 and Bulletstorm demos. I'm gonna talk about Crysis 2 first, which was both interesting and disappointing. The demo started off by freezing on me while loading into my first match, which was a pretty bad start! After reloading and getting back in, I managed to successfully get into a match. Quickly, I realized that it's pretty much like every other shooter out there. It's going for that same Call of Duty-style of game play that everyone loves so much. Except, it doesn't do it as well. The frame rate is worse, the controls aren't as smooth, and it just doesn't feel as right. It does have things that it could call its own, but those really aren't too well implemented. In it, you have a power suit with varying abilities, such letting you cloak, giving you armor, or super strength. To start out, you just have sprinting, armor, and cloaking in the multiplayer. You can rank up to unlock other classes, but I'm not sure if you eventually get other abilities to use. I'm pretty sure I saw some people making really big leaps and bounds, so I'd imagine you can customize them eventually. The armor feels mostly useless because it really blurs up the screen when you use it in addition to causing you to trod along at a snail's pace. Invisibility is a bit more useful because it actually does something, but is also pretty annoying when you get punched by a guy (who didn't actually punch you), and die in one hit. Also, the weapons are pretty generic.

You'll see this red dot sight in pretty much every modern shooter.
Maybe I'll spend some more time with it and see what I think. Bulletstorm was much more enjoyable, as the game played how I'd imagine Vanquish would be in first person. Only, it has a lot more cussing, Steven Bloom, and immature jokes. The game play is enjoyable, as it lets you toy with your enemies to perform stylish or flashy kills, such as yanking a guy from across the area to you, at which points he stays suspended in mid-air, where you can kick him into spikes, or people, or shoot him, or whatever. You get awarded points based on how flashy you kill people, and it seems like the replayability of the game would be good for people who love trying to go for high scores. I've got a hunch that the campaign itself is actually probably pretty short, so it might be something I end up waiting for on the cheap. Plus, how can I really co-operate with a game rude enough to tell me "Hey, dick-tits, this game ain't gonna preorder itself!"? How uncouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment