Thursday, January 13, 2011

Post 2: The Postening

Where do I want to start this post? I'm not sure, to be honest! It has been what feels like a really, really long day.

Woke up at 6:30 in the morning to prepare for an 8AM class. Had to print out some homework and take in a bag with stuff that represented my perceived self and presenting self. Class ended up being everyone having to group up at tables and share their stuff, wasting half of the class on inane chattering. The second half was also wasted on more social experimentation (?) and perception -- I'm not sure if the teacher presents these things to prove that we see and interpret everything differently, or if she's just wasting time and following the book. The two hours we spend in class could be spent so much more efficiently instead of wasting our mornings and then just expecting us to do the real work on our own.

After that, it was back home for a short time, where I got to say goodnight to the lady and make sure she got to sleep okay. I feel bad for having almost all my weekly mornings taken up now -- normally we'd get to spend a lot of time chatting and whatnot, but that's been kind of ripped away with the horrible setup I'm stuck with. I couldn't decide on if I wanted to play anything with the few hours I had before work, so I goofed around in FL and tried some new things with it. Made a little bit of progress with some stuff and have a new project that I can work on in the future. I like it, but I'm not sure what direction I want to take it in.

A photo I took while on the road. What is it?!
Work was pretty bad, and this is probably the thing that's been on my mind the most this evening. I'm an intern/extern/whatever you'd call it for a pharmacy, and this is the second one I've been to as part of my schooling. At the first one, I didn't get much experience doing many different things but I got to feel useful. I had a role that I played there, and I tried my best to do it efficiently and keep things going smoothly. I really enjoyed the company and got along with just about everyone there. I would often have someone to talk to and pass the time with. At my current place, there's so many people doing so many things that I often end up standing around, watching and doing nothing. I've just spent a good chunk of time feeling completely out of place and unhelpful. I think one of the worst things is that I really don't care for the manager so far. Whatever reason it may be, but being around him makes me feel extremely uncomfortable and uneasy. It doesn't help when he says "hey, intern, go fill those prescriptions" rather than referring to me by name and telling me what exactly I'd need to do, since it wasn't something that I'd ever been shown before. He also got my name wrong when I was first coming to the pharmacy. Actually, it was the second time my name had been wrong according to the company! Pretty impressive -- they also managed to give me the incorrect contact number to reach him when I was first starting out. Really good impression being left on me, that's for sure.

I'm going to move on to discussing things that I like more. You know what I like? Video games, man. I might have mentioned that I do not have as much time to play this week as I'd like, and that I need to make a plan to clear the backlog/enjoy games in an order instead of getting distracted and hopping around. I think I need to work on a game plan and possibly blog about the games as I play them, so I can keep progress for myself. I'll get around to it this weekend... Maybe...

Because I want a picture in my post -- Gamestop preorders for Dragon Quest VI will come with this lovely gentleman:

FOREVER GRINNING
From what I can tell, only Gamestop will have it as well. Amazon may be my favorite place to shop from, but they might just have to sit this one out for now! Having gotten into the Dragon Quest series recently thanks to DQIX, I definitely wanna get this. I'm pretty sure the lady will think it is so very stupid, but she is so very wrong and that's okay because I forgive her despite how wrong she is. What really amazes me about the series is how little about it actually changes, but how popular and enjoyable it still can be. Is it the simplicity? Is it the nostalgic factor? Because the games remind us of the golden age when we were young, when a few sentences in a game could fill us with a righteous sense of duty to defeat the last boss? Maybe it is just the simplicity -- perhaps nothing more is needed than an excuse to go on an adventure with some comrades, slaying monsters for gold and experience. Whatever it may be, I definitely won't complain as DQIX has been treating me very well since I first picked it up. Since grabbing it a few months ago, I have put many hours into it (not beaten... yet!) and picked up some others to add to it.

Pretty pathetic compared to some people out there!
Did I just spend over an hour or so working on this post? Yes, yes I did. I'm going to stop now and call it good here.


1 comment:

  1. Hopefully the class will pick up, and if not, well, at least you don't have to suffer it for too long.

    As for time, there's not much to be done about that but enjoy what time we have, and look forward to when we have a bit more breathing room.

    Regarding work, you've only had a couple shifts there now, some places/jobs/things take more time to settle, for you to find your place and fit in. And maybe that'll never happen with this externship since it's not a long-term thing, but don't be worried if it takes some time, hopefully you'll find your place there soon enough, or if not, latch on to someone and watch what they do, ask some questions if they're willing to teach, and then help out when you can.

    ... I've said 'time' a lot in this comment, and every time I do I start singing George Harrison's song in my head, lol, it's really distracting.

    I'm kind of ambivalent towards the blob so I wont say anything about it. Glad you've been enjoying the games tho!

    Also, what -is- that in the photo. The windscreen wiper? Your glasses?

    ReplyDelete